A Conservation Report for The Heritage Council
October 2003
prepared by
Shaffrey Associates Architects
Historic Buildings • Planning • Urban Design
29 Lower Ormond Quay
Dublin 1
Springfield House Conservation Report
Contents
1.0 Executive Summary
2.0 Introduction – context of report, Statutory Context, methodology, acknowledgements
3.0 Chronology – Chronology of Tenure, Chronology of Development
4.0. Historic Background
5.0 Buildings and Grounds Description
6.0. Assessment of significance
7.0. Condition – Building and Grounds
8.0. Recommendations
1.0 Executive Summary
- Springfield House is a modest, almost vernacular, Georgian farmhouse, which nonetheless contains material of considerable quality and real historical and architectural interest. The variety of joinery, fixtures and fittings, throughout the interior indicates a number of revisions which took place within the house immediately after the house was first built and on numerous occasions in the ensuing years. There is considerable information on the history of tenure associated with the house and lands dating from the mid-16th century to the current ownership. The benign stewardship of the house in recent years has guaranteed that this varied earlier building history has been preserved more or less intact today. While the extent of land has reduced and the condition of the grounds and outbuildings has declined in recent years, the setting of Springfield House still retains much of its historic character and there are a number of fine mature trees. The house is thus an important example of the middle size Irish Georgian House.
- Whilst the house is generally in a well-preserved condition, the building displays evidence of deterioration. In particular the roof and external walls are in a state which, if no remedial works are carried out in the short term, there is a risk of decay and loss of internal fabric of architectural and historic importance.
- This report recommends a phased strategy of repair works, to be carried out in tandem with a number of structured initiatives which come under the general umbrella of enabling, investigative and securing/protecting works. In addition, the report recommends an inspection, monitoring and maintenance strategy be prepared and implemented in conjunction with the above.
- Phase One repair works, which should be carried out within the coming year, subject to funding and compliance with statutory regulations, include re-slating, repairs to roof timbers, renewal of flashings in lead, chimney repairs, rainwater goods renewal and ceiling repairs in locations where ceilings have been damaged due to water ingress from roof. In addition, this phase includes renewal of external renders using lime-based renders and works at ground level to address surface water drainage. Enabling/investigative/securing works recommended include provision of access to internal roof spaces, timber decay survey of roof once access is available, removal and pruning of inappropriate and/or mature trees adjacent to the building, prepare inventory of internal fixtures, fittings and furniture and investigate all flue linings to chimneys.
- Phase Two Works, which should follow on from phase one, include survey of services installation and any necessary repairs/renewal and repairs to windows and external doors.
- Phase Three Works include repairs to the complex of outbuildings and the boundary walls, gates and railings which form an important part of the Springfield House complex and are in need of repair.
2.0 Introduction
2.1 Context
Shaffrey Associates were commissioned by the Heritage Council to prepare a Conservation Report for Springfield House. Springfield House is located approximately 5 miles east of Daingean and 8.5 miles west of Edenderry, in Co. Offaly. The two-storey, seven-bay double pile house dates from circa 1764 with a number of additions and alterations carried out during the 19th and early 20th centuries. It is a modest Georgian farmhouse which is nonetheless of considerable quality and real historical and architectural interest. In the ownership of the Callanan/Dolan family since 1936, there has been little significant alteration or intervention in recent years. However, the condition of the house has deteriorated during these years, in particular the roof and external walls, where flashings, rainwater goods, pointing and render all require immediate and appropriate repair.
2.2 Statutory Context
Springfield House is included in the County Offaly Record of Protected Structures as defined in the Planning and Development Act 2000.
2.3 Conservation Report Methodology
This report was prepared following a site inspection on 23 July 2002 and subsequent research in the Irish Architectural Archive, the Registry of Deeds and Trinity Map Library. Consultation with the current owner, Mr. Anthony Dolan resulted in much valuable information on the building’s history.
The site visit included visual inspection of all parts of the building, excluding the roof attic space to which there is currently no access. However, an inspection of the inner slopes and valley of the roof was carried out. A photographic record was taken and an outline survey of ground and first floor layouts. The grounds and outbuildings were also inspected and recorded by photograph and description.
2.4 Acknowledgements
In preparing this report Shaffrey Associates Architects would like to acknowledge the assistance of the following:
- John Montage M.A., Architectural Historian, who collaborated with us on this report.
- The Dolan family who provided considerable background information on the house and facilitated our visit and inspection.
3.0 Chronology
3.1 Chronology of Tenure
Note: The authors of this report are indebted to Anthony Dolan for providing information on the chronology of tenure of Springfield House. The information is derived from examination of the Registry of Deeds and historic documents.
Up to the 16th Century much of the lands in the eastern portion of what is today County Offaly, and including those of Springfield House, were held by the O’Connors, chiefs of Offaly. Following the wars of the 16th Century these lands were confiscated.
1550-51 5 February. Fiant – Edward VI – 682
A lease was granted to John Wackley of Navan of various lands, part of the lordship of Offaly which were “parcel of the possessions of Bryan O’Connor” including the lands of Ballynowen (the modern townlands of Newtown, Ballyhugh and Ballyhugh or Springfield)
1558 Proposed plantation of Laois and Offaly
Listed under the State Papers – Ireland for 1562
Elizabeth 1 – 6317. No. 62
A parcel of land including the Newtowne was to be granted to Richard Brymyncham/Bermingham].
1563 3 February. Fiant – Elizabeth I – 475
A grant was made to Thomas Morris of lands including Newtowne and surrounding land. Further Fiants of Elizabeth make further mention of the same lands and Thomas Morris.
1620 The lands above were in the possession of Malby Brabazon and John White, who seem to have been the co-heirs of a White’ who seems to have purchased title to the lands c. 1600.
1641 Anthony Brabazon, most likely, son to Malby above was in possession of the
lands.
– Down Survey and Books of Survey and Distribution: In these he is described as an Irish Papist. He forfeited the lands during the Cromwellian period.
1667 22 December: Act of Settlement and Explanation
Subsequent to the Restoration of the monarchy, the above lands and some neighbouring townlands were conferred in the possession of Benjamin Lucas, John Lucas and others. Col. Benjamin Lucas was a Cromwellian officer.
1720 Nathaniel Lucas, probable son to Benjamin, died.
1730 Samuel Luces, sen., son to Nathaniel, above, was the owner of the lands, and
seems to have taken up residence around this time at Drumcaw (later Mount Lucas) near Springfield.
1730 10 August. Registry of Deeds. Book 65, page 30:
A lease was granted by Samuel Lucas sen. (d.1767) of the lands of Ballymurrin later called Springfield) to Hugh Cunning of Ballyleakin, near Edenderry – “the farm and lands” of Ballymurrin formally held by Henry Kent.
1731 26/27 May. Registry of Deeds. Book 67, page 218.
Hugh Cunning above sublet Ballymurrin “with all buildings and improvements thereon” to Joseph Barnes of Rathclonbrancken, near Edenderry.
1746 Samuel Lucas sen. Leased Ballymurrin to Richard Odlum of Ballaghmonny, near Geashill (Book 123, page 401).
______________________________________________________________________
1764 Possible date of building of Springfield House
______________________________________________________________________
1765 1 January. Registry of Deeds: Book 234, page 440.
Samuel Lucas sen. (c.1700-1767) of Mount Lucas, grants a lease of Ballymurrin to his third son Samuel (1741-1813) “..including the house… the said house and eighty-five acres of land each adjoin each other and were then in the possession of the said Samuel Lucas junior”.
1765 5 July. Registry of Deeds: Book 240, page 421.
Deed of marriage settlement concerning marriage of Samuel Lucas jun., of Ballymurrin and Rebecca Michin of Busherstown, near Roscrea.
1768 25 June. Registry of Deeds: Book 260, page 328
Deed mentions Samuel Lucas (1741-1813) of “Springfield” – the first time the name Springfield is used in place of Ballymurrin – boundaries listed show Springfield and Ballymurrin as the same land.
1778 George Taylor and Alexander Skinner produced their “Map of the Roads of Ireland” 1st Edition: pps 84-85 & 198 – Springfield is marked with the name “Mr. Lucas”.
1784 W. Wilson produced “The Post Chaise Companion of The Travellers Directory
through Ireland”: DDs 89-90 – six miles and a half beyond Edenderry on the R is Springfield, the fine seat of Mr. Lucas*
1813 9 November
The death occurred of Samuel Lucas (junior) of Springfield. His will left the major part of his property to his sons, Michin and Richard Lucas, a smaller amount to his son, Rev. Samuel Lucas, Rector of Castlelost (Rochfordbridge, Co. Westmeath)
1821 10 March
A lease of the house in Springfield and land was agreed between Rev. Samuel Lucas (1768-1850) and Joseph Henry Wybrants
1825 13 September
Letter from Joseph Henry Wybrants of Springfield to the Reg. Diocese of Kildare in Mr. Wybrants’ capacity as “Commissioner of Tithes”.
1850 1 March. Registry of Deeds: Book 9, page 11.
Joseph Henry Wybrants still in Springfield.
1852 2 September. Registry of Deeds: Book 22, page 287
Robert Lucas, grandson of Samuel (1741-1813) was then in possession of and living at Springfield.
1857 12 March. Registry of Deeds: Book 12, page 127.
Robert Lucas, of Springfield House, sold his interest in the house and farm at
Springfield to Samuel Wesley Handy (1832-1917) of Ballina, Co. Mayo.
Samuel Wesley Handy created a Justice of the Peace c.1867
1880’s Late in 1880’s Samuel Wesley Handy sold his interest in Springfield to George Gill of Castlejordan, Co. Meath
1890 George Gill of Springfield became the High Constable for the Baronies of
Coolestown and Warrenstown, Co. Offaly,
1896 June 14 – Death of George Gill, Springfield.
1896-1936 Springfield House and farm were in the possession of the Gill family, heirs to
George Gill.
1936 Mrs, Mary Callanan, Moate, Co. Westmeath, took possession of Springfield
1945 Possession of Springfield went to Mrs. Mary Dolan, daughter of above Mary Callanan.
1952-2000 Springfield in possession of James Dolan, son of above Mary Dolan.
2000 – Springfield passes to Norah Dolan, wife of James Dolan, following his death.
Springfield House currently occupied by Norah Dolan and her son Anthony Dolan.
3.2 Chronology of Development
Examination of historic maps and physical evidence of the buildings and grounds and review of the above Chronology of Tenure has informed the following assessment of the main development phases at Springfield House.
1764 Possible date for construction of Springfield House. It appears the house was first built as an L-shaped plan with the front symmetrical block and the rear kitchen and stair hall section built first. It is also possible, although there is no documentary evidence to prove this, that the rear kitchen area may have been part of an even earlier house. The substantial level differences between the kitchen and other ground floor rooms and the notable thickness of the external walls of the kitchen suggest this as a possible earlier phase.
1765 Registry of Deeds confirms existence of house at Springfield (then called Ballymurrin).
1838 First Ordnance Survey map of the area. This shows the house substantially in the form it is now, with a complex of outbuildings to the north-east of the main house, only part of which survive today.
1857 A change of ownership in 1857 might suggest the date for much of the 19th century alterations to joinery and internal decoration
Early 1900’s Casement windows inserted in the rear ground floor reception room and alterations to the front entrance door.
Mid-1900’s Bitumen coating of roof slates and partial re-rendering in sand and cement of front elevation.
4.0 Historical background
The first known written record referring to Springfield House is the memorial of a lease in the Registry of Deeds, dating to January 1st, 1765. It records that a Samuel Lucas Sr of Mount Lucas granted a lease of ‘Ballymurrin to his third son Samuel’. This lease served to confirm the already existing situation when it refers to ‘the said house and 85 acres of land (which] each adjoin each other and were then in the possession of the said Samuel Lucas Jnr’.
The Lucas family first came into the locality after the third major 17th-century re-alignment of land ownership in Ireland brought about by the Act of Explanation in 1665. A Colonel Benjamin Lucas and a John Lucas, both officers in the Cromwellian army were granted lands here in 1667. The family prospered in the line of Benjamin Lucas. The centre of their estates was based where the larger house to the south-west of Springfield House, known as Mount Lucas, was later built. The portion of the estate known as Ballymurrin, Ballyhugh or later Springfield was given to House, known as Mount Lucas, was later built. The portion of the estate known as Ballymurrin, Ballyhugh or later Springfield was given to the youngest son of Samuel Lucas Sr, as outlined above, perhaps c.1763, some two or three years before the lease itself was written. This house was recorded in George Taylor and Alexander Skinner’s Map of the Roads of Ireland published in 1778 and was later described as the ‘fine seat of Mr Lucas’ in the Post Chaise Companion or the Travellers Directory throughout Ireland of 1784.
As indicated above, the house and its demesne were recorded on the first Ordnance Survey map of the area dating to 1838. The footprint of the house is consistent, in this and the subsequent OS maps (Figures 1 to 4), with what has survived. The lean-to range along the north and east of the house is already in place by then, and the depth of the house in plan is consistent with its double pile plan today. However, the courtyard of outbuildings to the east of the house, such as they are today, were not complete on their southern side on the OS map surveyed in 1910. There was also an extra range of buildings projecting to the north on the orchard side of the courtyard which no longer remain.
The Lucas family continued at Springfield House until the last of their line, a Robert Lucas, grandson of the Samuel Lucas who first built the house, sold his interest in the house and the farm to a Samuel Wesley Handy. It may have been after this change of ownership that some of the more significant 19th-century internal renovations to the house were carried out. Sometime towards the end of the 1880s Samuel Handy sold the house and grounds to a George Gill of Castle Jordan, Co Meath. In 1890 this George Gill is recorded as the High Constable for the baronies of Coolestown and Warrenstown, Co Offaly. Although George Gill died in 1896, it is understood that the house remained in the possession of his heirs until 1936, when it was bought by Mary Callanan of Moate, Co Westmeath. After her death in 1945, the house was left to her daughter Mary Dolan who had lived there with her son James Dolan since 1936. James Dolan inherited the house in 1952 and remained the owner until his death in 2000 when Springfield House passed to his wife, Norah Dolan, who is the present owner.
5.0 Buildings and Grounds Description
Introduction
Springfield House is a seven-bay two-storey Georgian house, with a pedimented central breakfront of three bays on the front façade, containing a central double door flanked by two narrow windows (Figure 5). The house has a double-pile plan and is constructed of rendered rubble masonry (Figure 6, also see diagrammatic floor plans on page 13). Although there is no basement as such, there is a small cellar beneath parts of the front rooms on the western part of the front pile of the house.
The house is set in grounds with a low railings enclosing an area to the front of the house and flanked by a number of outbuildings to the east which were recorded on the earliest Ordnance Survey map of the area dating to 1838 (Figure 7). The building is approached from the road to the east along a short curving avenue to the front of the building, and by a second entry to the rear of the house through a courtyard which is formed by a range of two-storey farm buildings to the east, walls with some later lean-to sheds to the north and south and the gable-end of the house with attached single-storey utility buildings on the west. There is a further small block-dressed coursed limestone building outside the courtyard to the east of the two-storey farm buildings.
Records in the Registry of Deeds indicate that there was a house here from at least 1765. The internal arrangement of the plan, the varying room heights, and the complex evidence of the joinery appears to indicate a building constructed in a number of stages. However, the appearance of the front of the house, especially the narrow windows on either side of the central doorway contained within a pedimented breakfront, is consistent with typical mid-18th-century design. That this important section of the house was already built seems to be confirmed by the slightly later description in the Post Chaise Companion of 1784 which refers to ‘..Springfield, the fine seat of Mr. Lucas’. This appears to imply that the front, and most impressive, half of the house with its simple, well ordered facade was already in place by this date.
The apparent order evident on the front façade seems to break down in the face of the confusion of internal joinery associated with the well marshalled external features. The mid-19th-century window and door cases of the front rooms are neither consistent with the 1760s date for this portion of the house nor with the later sash windows which they contain. A change in ownership of 1857 might provide a date for much of the 19th-century alterations to the joinery, although there were many other alterations, and much inconsistency. There are some remaining 18th-century features such as a doorway and a white marble fireplace (Figure 9) in the dining room and some 18th-century sash windows in the two bedrooms in the north-western section of the house (Figure 10). However much
of the rest of the joinery including the stairway (Figure 11) belongs to mid-19th-century alterations. There were further modifications in the early 20th century with the introduction of coloured casement windows in the rear ground floor reception room and in the double doorway at the front of the house.
Some internal evidence as well as reference to the documentary history raises the possibility that the double pile house was constructed in at least two separate stages. A pair of blocked opes on the north wall of a cellar beneath the western section of the front of the house, the higher ceiling in the ground floor reception room on the north-western corner of the house, and the simplified raised cove celling in the two upper rooms suggest that this section of the house was added after the front. It may have been added to what was an original L-shaped plan, containing the back area of the kitchen and stair hall, with the three rooms over, as well as the symmetrically disposed front block of the house. Alternatively, the complicated changes to the internal layout, may have been an adjustment to an already existing double pile building. Reference to an already existing house in the memorial of a 1765 deed (Registry of Deeds) might imply an even earlier phase, perhaps the section of
the house containing the kitchen and stair hall and the rooms over. However, a two- or three-stage chronology is somewhat undermined by the apparent consistency of the outer plan of the house, the uniform wall thicknesses and by the neat arrangement at roof level. Nor is there immediate evidence from the exterior walls of any masonry breaks to confirm a phased construction. Remedial works to the façade and to the roofs which are carried out in the future should seek to record any evidence which might throw further light on this issue.
Figure 9 (top left): 18th century fireplace in Dining Room in
need of repair
5,1 The House
Exterior
While there is some reason to believe that the house comprises two different building stages it now presents a fairly uniform appearance on the outside. In this way the two blocks broadly share the same exterior dimensions, with the caveat that there is a range of ground floor utility lean-to wrapped around part of the east and north walls of the house. It is not clear when these were added.
The walls are a rendered random rubble (Figure 12). The corners were secured with roughly dressed limestone quoins which are also covered by the render. The sides of the breakfront are also secured by similarly dressed limestone quoins. The window reveals are for the most part brick with patent Roman concrete reveals, and limestone sills of varying dimensions. However, the reveals to the altered windows of the ground floor room on the north-west of the house are of tooled limestone. Render was
applied to the walls at various stages, with for example that on the south wall dating to the 20th century, while that on the south front appears to be an original or early lime-based render (Figure 13).
The roof comprises a pair of double pitched gable-ended black slate roofs which have been treated recently by an inappropriate application of gauze and pitch. There is a limestone coping on all but four of the roof gable ends and these in turn are surmounted by impressive chimney stacks of limestone ashlar on the three gable ends with the limestone coping (Figure 14). The fourth gable chimney stack is constructed of rendered yellow brick. A further single chimney stack of much smaller proportions, also of rendered brick, is located to the west of the centre of the northern roof. This serves the second of the bedrooms on the north western corner of the house which may have been added but was certainly modified at some later date. The simple coping of the gables is also found on the breakfront pediment by way of a cornice. The roof rests upon the front walls of the house where there is no parapet. It is slightly sprocketed at the eaves. Access to the valley of the roof is via a trapdoor in the hallway of the 1st Floor of the house. There is no access to the roof interior.
The south front elevation (Figure 5) has a regularly disposed fenestration of seven bays with a three-bay pedimented breakfront comprising a wide central bay, with an early 20th-century double door on the ground floor, between narrow windows. All of the windows contain sash windows of an early to mid-19th-century date, all comprising six over six panes, except the four narrow windows on the ground and first floor on either side of the central bay, which contain four over four panes. Many of the panes contain their original glass.
The east elevation (Figure 6) is approached through the courtyard formed by the stable and other out-buildings. This elevation includes the gable ends of the two blocks of the house with a single sash window on the first floor and a set of low lean-to service buildings covering most of the ground floor, and through which the kitchen of the house is entered. The lean-to buildings are of a lime-rendered coursed rubble masonry covered by a pentice roof of slate.
The north/rear of the house is set within a walled overgrown garden or orchard. The garden wall is of rubble masonry. Close to the rear wall of the house is what is thought to have been an underground icehouse which has lately been converted to a septic tank now protected by earth-covered flags. A portion of the single-storey buildings with slated pentice roof continues around the eastern corner of the house taking up the approximate depth of one bay at the rear.
The fenestration on this elevation (Figure 8) is irregular and points to some of the difficulties of interpretation in regard to the possible building phases of the house. The western portion appears the most ordered, with a pair of evenly spaced windows on the first and ground floors. A shadow on the render of this rear wall to the east of these windows and in line with the structural wall which contains the single central chimney stack suggests a possible masonry break. This would seem to add to the evidence (found within the house and discussed below) that this north-western portion of the house was added to an earlier L-shaped house. If so, the change took place before the end of the 18th century as the windows on the upper floor contain the only remaining 18th-century sashes in the house. The pair of windows on the ground floor here are greatly enlarged and contain a set of 20th-century casement windows with triple upper lights of coloured glass. A similar treatment, with coloured glass, of the front door of the house suggests that these were contemporary adjustments.
The east end of the rear façade with its confused fenestration suggests a number of alterations over the years. A round-headed window at the head of the stairwell is partially matched by a small arched opening to its left. This may be the remains of a blocked-up opening which once lit a service stairs. However, there is no discernible evidence in the masonry outside or inside to confirm these suggestions. Below the arched windows are a pair of windows whose sill dimensions match a third double window into the kitchen However the window directly under the arched stair window has a sill which continues some distance beyond the edge of the window opening, implying either a wider earlier ope or a mis-matched sill. This sill has been further roughly broken away to accommodate a later down-pipe. Finally, there is a single sash window on the first floor, with six over six panes, above the double window of the kitchen below.
The last double gable end on the western side of the house has a single aperture a 19th-century sash window on the north side of the elevation lighting the rear corner bedroom on the first floor.
Interior
The plan of the front of the house is comprised of a central hall on the ground floor flanked by a pair of reception rooms with a similarly placed hallway on the upper floor flanked by the two main bedrooms. The rear of the house is arranged on either side of a slightly off-centre stair hall with pantry and kitchen on one side, and grand reception room with raised celling on the other. The upper floor of the rear pile has five smaller bedrooms on either side of the stairway – the two on the west side are accessed up a small number of steps (Ref. floor plans on page 13).
Kitchen
The kitchen, which is accessed from the courtyard through one of the ground floor lean to service buildings, is about 1m below the level of the rest of the ground floor rooms in the house. This is a high-ceilinged room with a very impressive sandstone flag floor with squared sets of very large and varied dimensions. A six-panelled door on the north wall beside the window onto the rear garden leads to one of the utility rooms on the back wall of the house. The kitchen window beside it consists of a six-over-six sash window with a splaved lower ledge below. An interesting feature here is the group of meat-hooks on the ceiling in the north-east corner of the room. The hall space to the pantry and stairs is accessed up three steps and leads to a very large panelled door.
Pantry
The pantry has been converted in recent times to a hot-press or airing cupboard. It is lit by a sash window with six-over-six panes and convex 19th-century joggles on the frames. Any suggestion that this was the location of an earlier service stairs is not supported by discernible evidence at present.
Stair hall
The staircase has a dog-leg plan with a curving balustrade at the landing. It is open tread and has crudely carved brackets on the tread ends. These scrolled brackets continue along the string at the base of the upper landing. Slim balusters with a double swelling support a handrail with a mahogany veneer which ends in a spiralling scroll volute at the foot of the stair. The stairhall has a running cornice interrupted by rosettes. A light fitting hangs from a mid-19th-century moulded stucco rose of acanthus leaf design. Beneath the half-landing of the stair is a small lavatory which is accessed through a simple four-panelled door with a moulded architrave.
Rear reception room
A very large reception room takes up the whole of the north western corner of the house. The height of its celling, which is decorated by a moulded cornice, greatly exceeds those of the other rooms on the ground floor, so that the upper rooms over it are accessed from the first floor landing up a series of steps. The room gives access to the dining room at the front of the house through a pair of doors on either side of the thick structural wall which separates the two piles of the house. Two identical 6-panel doors are hung on either side of this entrance in the thickness of the wall between the north and south rooms. However, the moulded architrave of the door on this side runs to the floor, while that in the room to the south is set upon a late 18th-century plinth block which matches the broader neo-classical joinery of the dining room as a whole (see below). A second plainer door gives onto a
deep panelled cupboard also on the south wall of this room which may be the location of a former doorway. There is a fine Kilkenny marble Bolection moulded fireplace on the chimney breast which projects into the room (Figure 24). The ceiling is also decorated by a moulded mid-19th-century stucco rose with a larger circumference than the stucco rose in the hall (Figure 25). The windows are of a greater dimension than anywhere else in the house and contain what appear to be 20th-century casements with coloured lights over (see description above). However, the window cases, which are splayed, and designed to suit six over six sashes, do not match the modern casements
they enclose (Figure 26).
Dining Room
The panelled ceiling in this room is considerably lower than in any other in the house, giving the impression that there had been problems with the joists to the floor above which the 20th-century plaster ceiling was designed to conceal. In contrast the deep moulded skirting and the block pedestals at the base of the architrave to the door into the rear reception room are some of the earliest joinery features in the house. The moulded dentil cornice, however, appears to be part of the pastiche work of the later ceiling. The fireplace of Carrara marble, in need of repair, is also belongs to the late 18th century (Figure 9). A simple neo-classical design, consisting of a mantel supported by fluted columns, the central portion of the frieze has been damaged. The windows in this room, facing the
south front of the house has splayed shutters with moulded panels which post-date the other joinery features of the room. However once again the shutters do not match the six-over-six sash windows with horns to the frames which are a characteristic 19th-century design. The four-panelled doorway, designed in conjunction with the door casings, matches all of the other joinery work of the hall which is described below.
Hall
A very handsome and symmetrical space (Figure 28), the hall, which faces south, is lit by the two slim, albeit very deeply splayed, windows on either side of the 20th-century doorway whose upper half is decorated by coloured glass which in turn matches in effect the windows of the rear reception room. The hall gives access to both of the reception rooms at the front of the house as well as through a slightly off-centre door to the stairhall in the rear pile. All of the doors are of a consistent 19th-century design, each containing four moulded panels. The windows here, and in the first-floor hall above, are stretched to this depth because of the depth of the breakfront in which they are set. As a result, the window shutters, whose mouldings almost match those of the door, have an unusual four panel design (Figure 29). However, despite the fact that this post-dates the probable 1760s construction of the façade of the house, their proportions would imply a six-over-
four sash design in this narrower window to the side of the central doorway, rather than the even later horned four-over-four sashes which they now contain. The centre of the ceiling is decorated with a moulded stucco acanthus rose to match the one located in the rear reception room.
Cellar
The Hall gives access through a crude trapdoor in its north-east corner to a cellar. This cellar
consists of an earth and masonry lined passageway underneath the hall leading to a two-
chambered space which takes up the whole length and width of the dining room above it. The walls in these chambers are lined with rubble masonry, and there are iron ventilation grills to the front of the house, which are currently blocked by slate tiles. There are blocked opes on the southern and northern exterior walls of the two chambers beneath the dining room, which give onto the earth foundations of the north-western room and again below ground level to the front of the house. Consequently, it would appear as if the structure was once intended as a basement with an open area to the front and rear of this pile of the house. It is because of this, as well as some aspects of the north-western rooms (outlined elsewhere), that it assumed that the north-western corner of the house was a later addition.
Drawing Room
The shutters and windows in this room match those in the Dining Room. The ceiling however is at the same level of the ceiling in the hall, and it has a moulded cornice. The room contains a fine white marble Victorian fireplace with an elegant tri-partite mahogany over-mantel (Figure 30). The four-panelled entrance door and its doorcase matches the other two doorways in the hall.
First Floor Stair Hall
The landing or hall area on the first floor of the rear pile of the house consists of a broad east-west corridor which gives access to the three minor bedrooms (Bedrooms 5, 6 & 7) (Figure 33). In the north-eastern part of the rear pile and up a series of steps to a narrower corridor which gives access to two more bedrooms (Bedrooms 3 & 4) in the north-western wing. Another door gives access to a First Floor Hall at the front of the house which in turn gives onto the two principal bedrooms (Bedrooms 1 & 2). The ceiling of this first-floor stair hall continues the decoration of the ceiling from the stairhall below. The running cornice is interrupted by a number of evenly spaced rosettes. At the centre of the ceiling lies a single moulded stucco rose made up of a number of whirling acanthus leaves (Figure 34). The round-headed window which lights the stairwell retains its original panelled window lining and arched top light, although the window sashes appear to be later replacements
(Figure 35).
Bedroom 5
This is a very narrow utility room which closely matches the dimensions of the pantry below it on the ground floor. The small semi-circular window which matches the top of the round-headed window over the stair gives rise to the suggestion that a service stairs was once located here behind what is now a blocked-up round-headed window matching that on the main stair (Figure 36). However, as mentioned in the discussion of the pantry, there is no direct evidence visible in the masonry to confirm or deny this possibility.
Bedroom 6 and 7
Bedroom 6, a former servant’s room on the north-eastern corner of the house has plain shutters to the windows which contain six-over-six sashes with 19th-century convex horns. There is a timber fire surround which has been painted with a marble pattern with cast iron inset (Figure 37). There is considerable water damage to a lath-and-plaster ceiling above. Bedroom 7 is a very small room with a single six-over-six sash window. There is no fireplace in this room.
Bedroom 3
One of the most pleasant rooms on this side of the house, Bedroom 3 is lit by two windows towards the corner of the room on its north and west walls. This room, along with its partner to the east and the adjoining corridor, is on a higher level than the other rooms on the first floor. Both this and Bedroom 4 have unusual high coved ceilings which are articulated by surprisingly simple moulded cornices (Figure 38). Both windows cases are splayed. The shutters have four panels which are decorated by a beaded moulding. However, the sash on the north wall contains six-over-six panes (matching for the first time the proportions of the shutters which contain them) and are without the 19th-century horns or joggles to be found on almost all of the other windows in the house (Figure 39). In contrast the sashes in the west window are of a 19th-century design with two-over-two panes and characteristic convex horns. The fireplace has a simple Kilkenny marble slab mantel with a cast-iron Art Deco fire-surround inserted within (Figure 40).
Bedroom 4
This room is a smaller version of its partner to the west. Containing the same 18th-century sash window of six-over-six pains with matching four-panelled shutters with a moulded beading. This room also has the high coved celling with the simple moulded cornice. The fireplace is a plain mantel made from Kilkenny marble slabs (Figure 41).
First Floor Hall
The first floor of this front pile of the house matches that below both for its symmetry and the architectural quality of its design (Figure 42). The two principal bedrooms are accessed through this hall which has an especially striking arrangement of deeply splayed window cases around the three windows of the breakfront. Because of the depth of the splay the shutters, which are of a simpler design than those on the ground floor hall (although contemporary with them), are much broader than those in the bedrooms. They consist of two broad moulded panels. Just as on the ground floor these do not match the proportions of the sash windows they surround, which are of a later 19th-century date. Both bedrooms are accessed through six-panel doors in contrast to the four-panel doors in the hall
on the ground floor.
Bedroom 1
A similar window case design is carried into the two principal bedrooms. However, the windows are not as deep as those set within the breakfront which forms the exterior wall to the south of the hall, and so the designs of the shallower shutters are altered accordingly. The tripartite panelling below the windows however is identical along all of the seven first-floor windows of the front of the house. The sash windows which post-date the shutters also match the 19th-century sashes to be found on the ground and first floor windows all across the façade (Figure 43). The fireplace is of painted stone with a mantel supported by moulded brackets (Figure 44). There is a cast-iron fire surround within.
Bedroom 2
Of identical dimensions to the other principal bedroom, it has the same joinery around the windows and in the sashes. The fireplace is of a large, but simple, Kilkenny marble three slab design with a slim Cararra marble mantel above it (Figure 45).
Roof
Remarkably, the interior of the roof is not accessible, either from within the house, or from the exterior. The roof exterior is accessed via a trapdoor in the rear pile corridor of the north-west wing of the house (Figure 46). This brings one out through a transverse dormer construction onto the concrete sealed roof valley which is set upon the wall that separates the two piles of the house. The slate roof tiles have been treated by a gauze and pitch combination of unproven value. However, the slates are considerably compromised as a result. As already mentioned there are three chimneys of limestone ashlar construction with moulded cornices at their upper course. A fourth chimney, which presumably replaces a previous limestone construction which was probably damaged, is constructed of brick
with a lime render (Figure 47).
Summary
The above detailed architectural description of the exterior and interior of Springfield House gives notice to a modest almost vernacular Georgian farmhouse, which nonetheless contains material of considerable quality and real historical and architectural interest. The variety of joinery throughout the interior indicates a number of revisions which took place within the house immediately after the house was first built and on numerous occasions in the ensuing years. However, the benign stewardship of the house in recent years has guaranteed that this varied earlier building history has been preserved more or less intact today. Interventions in recent years have been, for the most part, minimal and sensitive to the modest importance of the structure and its vulnerable history.
The exact building history cannot be determined with absolute certainty at this stage. The probability, for example, that the house was in the first instance built with an L-shaped plan and that a revised plan emerged with the addition of new rooms on the north-west of the house, can only be confirmed by evidence presently hidden beneath the lime render on the exterior walls and perhaps from clues hidden inside the presently inaccessible roof interior. However, the evidence such as it is, suggests the following rough chronology.
- The first substantial house, constructed around 1763, may have had an L-shaped plan which included the whole of the front façade, as well as the north-eastern section of the house with its kitchen wing and some servant and children’s bedrooms over. This most likely included the front façade as it appears today which would justify mention of the house in the Post Chaise Companion of 1784. Some of the earliest features in the house, associated with this first phase, are found in the Dining room. They include the architrave around a doorway, a deep skirting and the neoclassical marble fireplace.
- The north-western section of the house was added before the end of the 18th century. The windows in the first floor rooms here have retained their original beaded shutters and their 18th-century sashes.
- Some time, perhaps towards the end of the second quarter of the 19th century, the joinery around the windows and doors of the whole front façade was revised.
- The sashes in these windows were replaced later in the 19th century
- In the early 20th century a new set of very large openings with new casements and coloured upper lights was installed in the northwestern ground floor reception room. A new front hall door was also put in place then, with matching coloured lights in its upper panels.
- The house has remained largely unaffected since then by further substantial structural changes.
6.0 Assessment of Significance
Springfield House is a modest, almost vernacular, Georgian farmhouse, which nonetheless contains material of considerable quality and real historical and architectural interest. The variety of joinery, fixtures and fittings, throughout the Interior Indicates a number of revisions which took place within the house immediately after the house was first bull and on numerous occasions in the ensuing years. The benign stewardship of the house in recent years has guaranteed that this varied earlier building history has been preserved more or less intact today. The house is thus an important example of the middle size Irish Georgian House.
Other aspects of note include:
- The considerable information on the history of tenure collated by the current owner
- The house contains a fine collection of period furniture
- The house contains some fine domestic scale ceiling plasterwork in good condition, in particular the series of ceiling roses following the same acanthus leaf theme which appears in ground and first floor rooms throughout the house.
- While the extent of land has reduced and the condition of the grounds and outbuildings has declined in recent years, the setting of Springfield House still retains much of its historic character and there are a number of fine mature trees.
7.0 Condition
7.1 Building Condition
General
Structurally the building is sound and the small-scale but consistent approach to its maintenance has, in general, served it well. However, in recent years there has been little, or no maintenance carried out to the external fabric and the building now requires some remedial works in order to ensure the protection of its interior fabric. These works can be carried out on a phased basis as set out in the recommendations below. Prior to this. the following section sets out the condition of the different elements of the building in outline. In order to make this assessment no opening up was carried out – the inspection was visual only.
Exterior
Roof
There is no access to the roof space and therefore it was not possible to examine roof timbers.
All slopes of the double pile slate roof were treated with a gauze and pitch application in the
1940/50’s when the cast iron rainwater goods were replaced with aluminium.
The original sandstone ridge tiles all seem sound although mortar bedding has failed in places. The limestone copings and chimneys all require repair. Joints are open and galvanised steel ties have been fixed to the limestone chimneys to aid stability as a temporary measure (Figure 49). Flashings are formed in sand/cement mortar fillets and these have failed. There is evidence of water ingress in the upper floor ceilings, most notably to Bedroom 5 and 3 (Figures 50 and 51 respectively).
The central valley has been treated with torch on felt as part of the 1940/50’s remedial works (Figure 52), however it is unclear what level of water seal exists at the slates and valley junction.
There are two rendered chimneys, one on the northeast gable which has been rendered in recent years in a sand/cement roughcast render (Figure 53) and the other, earlier, in the centre of the rear pile, looks to be in poor condition and a source of water ingress to the room below (Figure 54). The former appears to have been rebuilt in yellow brick with a concrete coping – this may have been part of the 1940/50’s repair works.
Rainwater goods to the main house appear to be functional, however maintenance is now required with evidence of open joints and poor falls in places. The attached range of outbuildings to the east and north of the house has no functioning gutter and the implications of this can be seen in the condition of the external render (Figure 55).
Walls
The external walls are random rubble with roughcast render finish. There is evidence of a number of layers of limewash, the most recent coats with yellow ochre pigment. The original early lime-based render survives in places, notably the rear (north) and side facades as well as on the outbuildings. The front façade was rendered in the mid 20th century in a dense sand/cement rough-cast render and a nap sand/cement plinth was applied at the base of the wall. This latter render and plinth is falling with the render falling in sheets (Figure 56). The nap finish plaster reveals to the windows, which most likely date to these latter works, are also falling throughout. The Roman cement surround to the front door appears to be sound, although there is a shrinkage crack at the junction with the later sand/cement nap finish reveal.
The external walls appear to be sound. A vertical crack on the rear elevation, running from eaves to ground along the centre line of the western-most bay, appears to be a settlement crack which could be repaired as part of re-rendering works (Figure 57).
The junction at ground level is vulnerable to water ingress – to the front and sides there are several open routes for water (Figure 58 and 59) and to the rear the earth runs right up against the external wall, at a higher level than internal floor level (Figure 60). The ground slopes towards the external wall at the rear also, adding to the potential for water ingress.
Rainwater pipes do not appear to be discharging properly at ground level (Figure 61) and shores at ground level are quite likely to be blocked. There is no evidence of a perimeter land drain around the house.
Despite the rather unsatisfactory condition of the external walls, internally the house is still relatively dry. However, the building is at risk of considerable damp problems, if the external weathering is not tackled in an appropriate manner soon.
Windows and External Doors
The windows are in a various state of repair, although all need repairs to make them fully operational. In general, the areas of concern are timber decay to sills and lower rails of bottom sashes, and putty decay (Figure 62 and 63). All windows and the front door are repairable. Care should be taken when repairing to retain any surviving early hand-made glass of which a considerable amount has survived. The limestone window sills are generally in good condition, although some repair is required to the sill to the first floor semi-circular window on the rear façade.
Interior
Generally, the interiors are in sound condition, the areas of most concern relate to ceiling damage in the first floor rooms to the rear of the building, due to roof condition above. Figures 50 and 51 clearly illustrate the nature of damage in Bedrooms 4 and 3, respectively. The fact that many of the upper rooms are underused may be an issue for future maintenance of the house and any programme of maintenance should address this under-use.
At ground floor level the use of a tumble dryer in the pantry gives cause for concern, due to the warm, moist environment created in this room and the potential water ingress through the walls (note the end of the downpipe which runs outside this wall is broken and water discharges directly onto the wall surface here – Figure 61). However, the current owner does keep the window open slightly which provides some ventilation to this space.
The cellar which runs under the ground floor Hall and Dining Room provides a certain protection to these rooms against rising damp. However, the ventilation to the cellar space has been blocked in recent years (Figure 58).
Joinery and plasterwork is generally sound and intact. The fine 18th century marble fireplace in the Dining Room requires some repair, where bonding of marble facing pieces has failed (Figure 27).
Grounds and Outbuildings
Grounds
The grounds immediately around the house, comprising forecourt and driveway to the front (south), walled garden to the rear (north) and courtyards to the east side are no longer in any active use.
The gravel/earthen front forecourt is railed off from the front field which is rented by a local farmer with grass cut for silage/hay (Figure 63). The wrought iron railing here is in a somewhat damaged condition, caused it appears by impact rather than deterioration of the fabric. The historic driveway which leads from the side public road to the front forecourt is no longer in use and is overgrown. A pair of wrought iron gates with octagonal limestone piers mark the junction between the drive and the forecourt. Both need repair (Figure 64). The original entrance gateway requires stone repair and re-pointing (Figure 65).
To the west of the house a shelter belt of Leyland Cypress trees was planted in the 1940’s. Apart from their visual incongruity their closeness to the house could lead to future structural and weathering problems (Figure 66). The rear walled garden is overgrown, and the boundary walls require some consolidation/re-pointing repairs. The former ice-house which is located approx. 3 metres off the centre of the rear façade, is presently covered and no access was possible during the inspection (Figure 67). It is likely, however, that repairs are required to protect the structure.
The cobbled courtyard immediately to the east of the main house is in reasonable condition (Figure 68). This courtyard leads to an outer yard through an arch in the range of outbuildings, which runs parallel to the east façade of the main house. The present drive to the house from the public road is though this yard, the historic main entrance no longer used. Again, this yard is in reasonable condition. There is a fine set of circular rubble masonry gate piers with a modern iron gate leading to the front entrance drive (Figure 69).
Throughout rubble garden walls require consolidation and re-pointing. There are a number of mature trees, some specimen, within the site which are an attractive and important aspect to the setting of the house (Figure 70).
Outbuildings
The surviving outbuildings to the east of the main house are all in need of roof and external weathering repairs.
The outbuildings which attach to the main house are structurally sound. Roof repairs required include flashings, rainwater goods, fixing of loose slates and repairs to brick eaves course (Figure 55). The roof timbers to the scullery are decayed with resultant partial ceiling collapse (Figure 71). The roughcast render on the external walls is bolst in places – early layers of a yellow ochre pigmented limewash are clearly evident here (Figure 72). Windows require timber repairs – the windows to the scullery at the northern end of this range probably need replacement. The fine hipped roof range of outbuildings which run parallel to the east façade of the main house has been partially re-roofed with a corrugated asbestos roof, probably in the mid-20th century (Figure 73). The remainder of the roof is sheeted with a well-rusted corrugated iron roof. This building, with its central arched opening, bears a date stone of 1805. The east façade exhibits a series of arched openings, one of which has been blocked at an early date with limestone rubble (Figure 74). The roof will need replacement in the near future, and this will provide the opportunity to replace the
asbestos sheeting. The rainwater goods have failed throughout and need replacement. The walls are rubble masonry with several historic layers of limewash. They are generally sound. The building has a first floor loft space in the roof with timber louvres to the small square opes all in need of repair. This outbuilding is used for storage at present. A cast iron fireplace of some quality survives in the outbuilding, suggesting the partial use of the outbuilding as a gardener’s residence – it is partially concealed with timber panelling and in need of repair. (Figure 75). Mature trees to the north-east of this range need pruning back.
In the outer yard adjacent to the current entrance gates, there is a small limestone outbuilding which requires wall stabilisation and repointing (Figure 76). Corrugated galvanised steel sheeting has been fixed in recent times to the roof for weathering.
Other outbuildings include a modern open lean-to shed with mass concrete piers and galvanised roof sheeting which rests against the stone boundary wall between to the front forecourt. This is in a dilapidated condition and is used to store machinery.
8.0 Recommendations
Springfield House, whilst being generally well preserved, due in great part to the mainly non-invasive and benign use and maintenance of the building by its current owners over recent years, displays evidence of deteriorating condition. In particular, the roof and external walls are in a state which, if no remedial works are carried out in the short term, there is a risk of decay and ultimate loss of internal fabric of architectural and historic value.
This report was carried out following a visual inspection only with no opening up taking place. It is therefore recommended that further investigative and survey works be carried out in tandem with an initial phase of repair works. Further, such works can offer the opportunity to carry out a number of protective and enabling works, which form part of the securing and safeguarding of the building in the medium term. Finally, a programme of regular monitoring, inspection and maintenance should be drawn up as part of the approach to conservation.
All works should be in line with the following guiding principles:
- All works should abide by current statutory regulations, in particular the Planning and Development Act 2000. Repairs should be carried out using matching traditional materials, details and techniques, introducing modern or new technologies only where it is deemed appropriate in assisting preservation of important historic fabric
- Inappropriate works should where possible be removed
- Full records should be kept of all works including ongoing photographic records of works during progress – in particular note important evidence of the building’s evolution which might be gleaned from an examination of the wall following removal of any failed or inappropriate renders, as part of the re-rendering programme.
- A programme of regular inspection and maintenance should be developed and implemented
- A tree management plan should be prepared and implemented for the grounds, in particular addressing pruning of mature trees adjacent to buildings and structures where potential damage or weathering problems may arise.
We recommend, therefore, that the following works be carried out in line with the general phasing as set out below.
8.1 Phase One: Works to be carried out in 2003/2004
8.1.1 Enabling/Investigative Works:
a. Provide access to both roof spaces by forming trap doors in ceilings. Locations of trap doors should take regard of potential impact on more significant rooms and/or ceilings.
b Once access to the roof space has been provided, it is recommended that a timber decay survey be carried out of roof timbers.
c Carry out an inventory and photographic record of all internal fixtures, fittings and furniture of importance, including plasterwork, fireplaces, joinery. Preferably a second copy of this should be held in a safe place off site.
d Investigate all flues to chimneys to assess requirement for flu lining to minimise fire risk and water ingress
8.1.2 Protection/Securing Works:
a. Remove Leyland Cypress tress adjacent to the west façade of the main house
b. Prune mature trees adjacent to buildings.
8.1.3 Repair Works:
a. Roof:
- Roof to be stripped and re-slated (if existing slates can be successfully cleaned of applied pitch, then these should be re-used, however this is likely and therefore natural slates matching existing in type, colour, texture, size and grading to be used).
- Ridge tiles to be re-used and bedded in lime-based mortar, lead flashings to be provided at chimneys, copings and dormer access to roof.
- Existing valley felt to be lifted, valley boards renewed as necessary and lead valley provided.
- Ventilation to roof to be provided.
- On stripping of roof, necessary repairs/replacement of battens, rafters, purlins etc., to be carried out on foot of suitably experienced building conservation advice.
- Dormer access to roof to be repaired
- Rainwater goods to be repaired and replaced if necessary. Existing aluminium gutters and downpipes date from 1940’s repairs and show signs of failure. Where replacing cast iron goods should be used.
- Repairs to 3 no. limestone chimneys to include structural investigation and repair, removal of metal ties and straps, repair of stone and re-pointing in lime-based mortar. Repairs to central and northeast rendered chimneys on rear (north) roof to include renewal of plasterwork with appropriate lime-based mixes and flaunching cappings.
- Carry out flu lining to chimneys as determined by investigative works.
- Re-roofing of attached range of outbuildings to be carried out in conjunction with main roof repairs, including resetting of brick eaves course.
b. External Walls:
- Modern sand/cement render to be removed from front walls where falling and building rerendered using more appropriate lime based renders. Mix and finish for render should be based on surviving early roughcast render on rear and side elevations. Consideration should be given to applying yellow ochre piamented wash to render, based on surviving evidence of this finish. All due care to be taken when working in lime and recommended procedures for protection and monitoring of temperature should be followed.
- Surviving early lime renders on the rear and sides should be kept where sound, although where bolst this can be removed and replaced in matching lime render as per front façade.
- When the render has been removed, the walls should be examined for any evidence of historic building lines to further knowledge of building history and evolution.
- Rubble walls should be treated with an organic biocide when render has been removed.
- Open joints at ground level should be filled when with masonry and rendered.
c. Ground level works:
- All gullies and shores to be cleaned and repaired.
- Ensure downpipes discharged properly into gullies and that gullies are connected by surface water drains to a soak-away pit at an appropriate distance from the house.
- A perimeter land drain system should be installed around the house, in particular at the rear, where the ground level is higher than internal floor level and the ground level slopes towards the external wall. Consideration should be given to re-grading here to reduce potential for water ingress problems – however, take care not to damage ice house or any surviving fabric of historics/architectural note.
- Vents to cellar over front Hall and Dining Room, which are currently blocked, should be reopened and suitable metal grille provided to facilitate ventilation of cellar space.
c. Internal Works
- Carry out repairs to damaged and partially collapsed ceilings, following roof and rainwater goods repairs.
8.2 Phase Two Works to be carried out in 2004/2005
8.2.1 Investigative Works
Carry out survey of electrical, heating and plumbing installation.
B. Services
On foot of survey reports carry out renewal and upgrading of services installations.
8.2.2 Repairs
a Windows and external doors:
- Repairs to all windows and doors, including timber splicing repairs, re-puttying to glazing, easement and re-weighting to all sliding sash windows and redecoration.
8.3 Phase Three Works to be carried out In 2005/2006
8.3.1 Repairs
a. Outbuildings:
- Carry out structural and weathering repairs to roofs, walls, floors, windows and doors to ensure protection,
b. Boundary walls, gate piers, and railings:?
- Carry out stabilisation and re-pointing repairs to walls and piers.
- Carry out repairs to historic iron railings and gates.
Shaffrey Associates Architects
30 October 2003